Monday, June 27, 2016

My first three days of rhe MRT

6-25 was my Mississippi river trail. I got a relaxed start with Dianne, a beautiful soul with smile lines and sweet demeanour. She helped me with a place to stay the night before, and drove me to the Itasca bike shop.
I was able to talk to Jessie Locke, an amazing woman who has only been positive, supportive, and helpful. At the headwaters, there is a webcam pointing at the River start point. I was able to call her as she watched me pace back and forth while excitedly chatting about the trip at hand. She even got a pretty funny picture even though it's really blurry.
I began to pedal around 3 o'clock, where I left the park and headed north, following the river as it winds.
Minnesota is an absolutely beautiful state. The lush, green forest roll for miles. The wild flowers are in bloom right now, adding such a nice splash of color as I go.
I pedaled for about 35 miles, following the little green signs that let me know I was on the MRT. I stopped in Bemidji around 9:30, forgetting that it was a Saturday, and that all the campgrounds were going to be full. I went to a little bar called hot toddies, where I ate breakfast for dinner, and talked with some really kind people. The conversation started when the bartender mentioned that she really liked my hi-rez vest, stating she wanted to wear one to work. I had totally forgotten that it was on, only focusing on the food on my plate and the soreness in my legs.
I found myself in a friendly conversation with the gentleman sitting next to me, who were curious about my journey. Craig, a kind man who I found easy to trust, helped me with a place to stay for the night at an empty cabin not a far ride from the MRT route. He was easy to talk with, and very kindly help me with some of the issues on my bike. I had the seat really low, and a lot of nuts and screws loose, adding difficulty to the long miles that I was trekking. He even stopped to bring me breakfast the day that I left the cabin, and got me in contact with Harold, a retired college professor who spends his Summers along Lake Winnibigoshish, fishing and enjoying life. They shared hamburgers and beer with me the night of the 26th, and campfire to roast marshmallows upon.
Waking up today, June 27th, I realized the soreness in my body. My hips are feeling stiff, and my ankle is noticeably twingey.  Harold graciously offered to let me stay for a little bit longer, so I'll be here for one more night to rest and catch up on writing. This lake is a breathtaking 15 miles across, and I'm thankful I wasn't crazy enough to canoe the 'sippi.
Speaking of crazy, if you're interested following a brave man with a kind smile and adventurous spirit, check out travelingafro.com. James is canoeing the entirety of the Mississippi River! He started a few weeks before I did, but he's definitely traveling at a different pace, as the River winds and has portage's and dams to cross. I've been following it his updates, and I wish him the best along his journey. We may even be able to meet up for a day to exchange river stories and explore a small town.
The next town over that I should be reaching is Deer Creek, and then Grand Rapids by Wednesday. My pace has been roughly 30 miles a day, and I haven't been timing it really. I take breaks often, and whenever I take a break I make sure I drink lots of fluids and eat protein and fat.
I'm so thankful for this bed I'm laying right now. The world takes us to strange places, it's hard to tell where you'll end up. It's so nice to know that there are people that present themselves in a form of a stranger, but they are kind and they're helpful. There are people that pay it forward, there are people that only want the best for you. There are amazing humans everywhere that you go.
Continuous thank you so much to everyone who has helped me along this path. I'm incredibly blown away every single day I look back and see so many people that continue to help me and make my day and journey a wonderful one. For the friends that I've had for years, to the parents that raised me, to people that have known me for a handful of hours, thank you so much.
I've found myself saying thank you a lot lately, and I don't want it to I feel like it's loosing meaning with use. It means so much. Everything that you have done, or said, it has helped me to continue to become a better person. I hope to do the same for you, and to treat you with the love and respect that you've given me.
Live well, love hard, find happiness.


My new friend Harold at Lake Winnibigoshish

The continuously helpful and extremely kind Craig!

James French (travelingafro.com) on his first day of his Mississippi River canoe trip


No comments:

Post a Comment