Sunday, June 26, 2016

Kindness

Labeling people into groups can be easy. We find the things that make them connected with others and stop there. It's hard to dip below the basic questions that barely skim the surface.
As I keep moving. I get more and more amazed with how many people want to help and support my journey. Some of these people know me so little, but they love and trust so openly.
I keep wanting to write about the people I've connected with in separate blogs, and I hope to as I find more time.
This post is about Bagley, Minnesota.
If you are driving US HWY 2 west through northern Minnesota, you'll probably miss it before you realise it had passed. Two bars, a bakery, two groceries and a post office. When looking at that list, it's easy to see why most people wouldn't think to stop except for gas.
I knew I wanted to make a pilgrimage of the Mississippi River Trail, so I posted on wwoof.org that I was hoping for a place up north to help work on a farm for a little. Bernis at the Honeyberry Farm responded to me and asked me to join them for a few weeks, and amazingly enough I found a ride all the way from Shreveport Louisiana up to Cass Lake, where she kindly picked me up. She showed me Bemidji, the closest city, and shared delicious elderberry juice, rhubarb bread and jam.
On the farm, I got to take care of farm animals, weed, help with shipping, and plant so many fruit trees. Honeyberries are new to the US, Bernis and Jim proudly import them and sell commercially. They also have a u-pick, which is hopfully picking as the summer warms up.
Honeyberries have a lot of similarities as blueberries, except for they are more tart. They are delicious, and phenomenal in baked goods or Jam.
Bernis kindly took me to town multiple times to meet so many lovely people. I met Dianne, whose smile brightened the entire day, and her stories were completely enthralling. She has such a lovely little farm with cows, chickens, and the most beautiful little dog named Glory. The happiness that woman exuded was moving.
I met Jeff and Angie, who have a huge list of Critters, and wonderful life advice I'm honored I got to hear. I got to show them Repo! The Genetic Opera, and I'm so pleased they love it. They were so kind and caring, and complete crack-ups. Angie can take anything from the dump and make it look as if it was made on etsy.
Kathy Steiner biked from Iowa to Canada in a week. She did that when she was in her late sixties. I have no words for how amazing that is. Her husband Leonard can talk your ear off, and you'll love every minute of it. He was so kind to gift me a bike to start this trail!
Sam and Caren Smith own Itasca sports,  without them, I wouldn't have been able to get moving. They have a great shop at Itasca state park, and I know I'll be back. The service they give is far above average, and their happiness is contagious.
Ron and Twylla (sp?) Help bring together the cutest little Cowboy Church I'll probably ever see. They find happiness singing, and playing instruments for others. The smiles in their eyes are consistent and warming to be around
The thing is with this blog post, you might look at it and only see names. It's hard to describe exactly what these people gave me. I was gifted some amazing things, like a bike, a helmet, places to stay, something to carry my stuff in, and other generous donations, but they gave me so much more. They gave me so much hope in the world around me. I looked at them and realized that they weren't just people. They're so much more than people, they're extraordinary human beings. Each have so many different stories and reasons that make them who they are.

Ron and Twylla

Dianne, and one of her goofy chickens

Bernis and I the day I got to Bemidji

Bernis and I were having a lovely chat when a chipmonk wandered in

Angie, a little slice of Portland who helped me feel a little closer to home


The world is made up of 7 billion of us.  There are so many beautiful, wonderful, helpful people out there, but it's easy to look at them and not see the potential that they have. I've been guilty of it, and this has definitely open my eyes to the realization that a small town is not just a small town. It's a community, and I was so so lucky to find my way into this one. There are so many amazing people out there that will blow you away. People are complicated, people are simple, and people can be beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment