Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Messy

People are complicated. We mostly mean to help you along the way
But sometimes words can slip out or get stuck in, and feelings can get hurt
Because we may all speak the same language
But what we say and what we mean can be two different things.
We may hang our heads or stand square and state our ideals
We may pray or sing or take a long walk
But we mostly mean well
And it's hard to mix us all together and have the outcome look smooth
Some ingredients may mix, or clump and spoil
And I could tell you how to bake a perfect bread
But my recipe will vary from yours
And maybe they'll be different loafs
But we can still find sustenance when shared together.

We're simple and complex in the strangest ways
It's easy to look at someone and judge what they've been through or where they are from
But we don't know the little details
The moments that fill them with uncontrollable emotion and wondrous thought
We only know our own feelings caused by other people and other moments
We're not clean, and we're far from tidy
But some of us know how to recycle the feelings given by others
And some horde and steal and beg
And some days I fear I'm that person
Then I remember Nicole telling me that paying it forward isn't instant, it's when you can
And I'll keep moving
And I can replenish the goodness
While still avoiding words like "owe"
Because we're all just a mess
I'm only the writing you see and the pictures I post
But I'm so much more
And you may see me as less
But I see a universe of possibilities in you
And I want to show you the love I have for you
Because it's endless and careful and engulfing
And i only want the best for you

Our choices are what made us who we have become
And we might not realize in the hustle of the every day bustle
But were always able to grow and change and become something new
But it's so easy to fall in line and forget our dreams
And then we look in the mirror and lust for other peoples ideals
And sit behind the screens and say "I should have gone"
Then make the same decisions next time.
People are difficult
And I would love to see the world from your eyes
To pick apart what you mean and how you learned to say it
With loving tender fingers that will put it all back together when I'm done
I want you to regret less and I want you to love more.
May we always have the childish demeanor to look up on something new with awe
And accept it for what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment