Monday, April 4, 2016

Walking for a cause

I know I'm not going to like this blog, because it won't look or sound as pretty as I want it to. This post is not about the art I want to create right now. This is the impact that I want to make.
I suffer from depression. I have tried therapy, different types of drugs, different diets, as well as different lifestyles. I believe I'm in the happiest part of my life. I'm traveling constantly, meeting beautiful people, and working towards goals I set.
I still have days where I battle with the sound of my own voice or the thoughts in my head. I tell myself to shut up, turn the mirror away, or pick at my skin. On these days, the best way to come out on top is to look at how others have fought through those times.
I met the most wonderful woman when I visited home this last holiday season. Her name is Holly, and she's an artist. Her art is absolutely mind-blowing.  It's all based around the stigmas we hold against depression and other mental disorders. It really surprised me how comfortable it was to stand in an open hallway at an art walk and converse with this woman I just met.
I've had friends tell me before how they think that I am a strong individual because openly talk about my depression. Though it is something that still gets caught in my throat, I think that I need to keep talking about it and to keep moving for it.
Depression doesn't touch just one person, it affects so many people, and I want to help as many of those people as I possibly can. My upcoming walk began as a personal goal. It was originally planned because traveling it is my therapy. Meeting strangers and having surprisingly beautiful moments at the most unexpected times has done so much for me. I want to use this walk is a way to bring help to those who need it.
So this is why I am posting this blog. I want to spread awareness, help distribute money, hugs, and positive experiences. My biggest problem is I'm not sure how. Should I start my own web page so people can send money and who decide where it goes? what companies and not for profits are actually doing the best work they could be? would anybody support this? Am I asking the right questions?

Thank you for reading this post. If you have any information that could help me help others please comment or send me an email
Jennise.gaines@gmail.com

Please visit Holly's website
http://hollyballardmartz.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment