Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Damage control

I'm on a train in Bartlett, IL. I am heading into Chicago to pick up a car and drive to Ottawa for an appointment.
I might miss my appointment. I might have to reschedule and ask the person I'm staying with to drive me another day. The reason this is happening is because someone used the train before mine as their ticket out. The woman selling tickets phrased it as "they didn't want to see the end of the day."
When people use mass transit as their way out, I have noticed some comments from others. "Don't ruin my day because you couldn't handle yours" is one I remember from a few years back. The mood is usally a mix of frustration due to offset plans, and a wonder of what that person was going through as they decided this was going to be their last day.
I wish I could have met that person. Maybe a hug or a listening ear could have helped them with what they were going through. Not everyone wants to ask help, but what is the cost of offering it? A cup of coffee, a work of art, a smile durring a busy morning commute?
I'm writing this with love for the people who have considered stepping in front of trains or oncoming traffic. This is for the people who walked to the golden gate bridge with sadness in their eyes. I appreciate you. Ending your life, no matter how you do it, is not the only way to stop the suffering. Travel, write, bike, try different forms of therapy. There is so much beauty in this world, you just have to find it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment