Sunday, May 15, 2016

In no particular order

"Do you do yoga?" Jim asked. He was handing me a glass of wine, and working on one himself.
"I try, I used to do acro with a friend" I think was my reply. I mostly remember his southern drawl and the smile he gave me. He does yoga a few times a week, bikes around, and goes to crossfit- but I can't remember how often.

He had such a sweet disposition, and was overjoyed when he found out I have not heard every Beatles album. That night he tried to teach me a bass line, but the bottle of wine sloshing around in my blood was hindering for this short term memory I was blessed with. The game of pool we also played was rough, the only shot worth counting from me was the winning 8 ball spinning into the corner pocket. They offered to buy me a drink. I accepted a Roy Rodgers.

"He'll do anything for a Pecan" he chuckled, as Hoppa the Jack Russel quivered with excitement. He had been trying to teach him how to shake hands, a trick Babygirl had figured out easily. She was a mutt with the looks of a Rottweiler, and she would over shadow Hoppa as she performed the trick Jim desired with ease. Hoppa would sit, stand and roll over, but just couldn't understand why Jim was reaching for his leg. He still got the Pecans.

I had met his son previously through Couchsurfing, that's how Jim and I connected. He took me to one of his sons shows at a bar close to Arlington. Jim watching Adam play was one of the most wonderful experiences to be part of. The next day he kept talking about Adam and how talented he was. He smiled as he related him to Paul McCartney, thinking aloud how difficult it is to sing and play an instrument at the same time.

"And how easily he picks up new languages" he said shaking his head, "he just hears it and figures it out. It's incredible."

I decided to show my thanks by cleaning his kitchen. It's almost comforting after having been a house cleaner for two years. Of all the subjects we flowed through, it always came back to The Beatles. He told me why they didn't like Yoko, conspiracy theorists about Paul's death, and went on to talk about the artists after the separation of the band. He asked about my family and we talked about happiness. I think Jim might be one of the most humble people I've ever met.

1 comment: