Friday, May 13, 2016

Art...?

Art is constant. Every city I go, there is something beautiful to see- An alleyway filled with graffiti, fountains in a park, a brightly painted house, the architecture that fills the city.
I struggle with the fact that I identify as an artist- I don't know what my forte is. I'm surrounded by my friends who have an established relationship with art. My best friend is a tattoo artist, and a damn good one at it. She covers people's bodies in absolutely gorgeous ideas and meanings on a daily basis. Another friend draws mostly animals, fantasy or reality, and her work inspires me every day. I have both of these artists work on my body, and only want more.
When it comes to what I use to express myself, I really enjoy painting, collaging, and writing.  Sometimes I'm overtaken when I  go back to read and see myself in a different light.
When I write I put everything I can to express the thought or feeling I'm having at the time. A lot of my deep emotion goes into this blog that you're taking the time to read right now. Keeping up with writing ranges from completely overwhelming, to the easiest thing I could do in the world. Maybe I can make a living off of writing. But maybe I'm not good enough.
I look to many other artisis to give me help and inspiration. Amanda Palmer's the art of asking (on audiobook) has changed the way I look at art. She talks about many things, all of which circle around asking for help, and creating art that feels like she's giving to the world.
What am I giving to the world? Are my words what people need? How can I spread helpfulness and light, even on days that feel hard to me? I have to get through the hard days even when I don't believe in myself or trust my writing enough to portray what I want the world to hear. I hope letting go in these blogs helps someone out there.
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog. I know they can sometimes get messy and end differently than they started. Your support (even silent) helps me continue the process. Writing makes me feel better, and knowing it's read helps me feel connected to others.
If you want to hear more about any specific subjects (people, places, depression, the cats I have made friends with) feel free to comment or send me an email at jennise.gaines@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment