Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Lost and found

(or how my maternal grandfather would be proud)

I've had this amazing cycle of losing things and gaining things as I travel downstream. I strongly believe I have only what I need, so when I lose things it's for a reason.
My first day on the trail, I miraculously didn't lose anything, but I did find something. I noticed something black and shiny on the side of the road, and after picking it with up my garbage Grabber I realized it was a roll of 5 unused black trash bags. One has held my backpack, one my food, and one my sleeping arrangements when it rains.

I found a really nice bungee in a ditch a few weeks in. Before I was gifted a new cart, it was used to keep my rain cover down. The other day I made friends with two cylcers looping from Madison to the twin cities. Their camp was up a massive hill, and these legs have a hard time pulling 80 lbs of counterweight behind me.
A very nice man on a motorcycle stopped and offered to tug me up a hill with his bungee. The first attempt, the bungee sprang off my bike and shattered his break lights and cover. I apologized profusely, but he was not deterred! Second try was a charm, and he pulled me the second half of the killer hill to my new friends. He told me to not fret about the light, and I gave him the bungee as a "thank you/I'm so sorry" gift.

Craig, a name you probably know since he helped me consistently for 3 weeks straight, gave me more than I can ever repay him for. Endless bike help, places to stay, food and good entertainment... The list goes on.
As I pulled into a small town, the weather was getting brutal, and there was no where to camp. I was in such a sour mood, but he was pretty close because he was working on someone's house. He's constantly fixing things, my bike being one of them. He came and met me 25 miles north of where he offered for me to stay for the weekend. The next day, I got to bike sans trailer for my makeup miles, and on the way found a really nice, almost new cinch strap. I wound it around the frame, and presented it to him at the point where the Mississippi river trail splits. I know it was not the most amazing gift to show my appreciation, but I felt so happy being able to exchange something.

A few nights ago I left my phone charger at my warmshowers host's house. I woke up and was ready earlier than usual, and was racing to get out while I still had the energy. I almost left my sandals, but he noticed before I walked out the door, thankfully.
I was pulling onto highway 52 when I realized my charger was 4 miles and a hill behind me. As I turned a corner, the sun was glaring in my eyes and I wasn't about to remove my helmet for my floppy sunhat. I came across a seemingly clean looking baseball cap in the grass, and thought "what are the odds?" It fit perfectly under my helmet, while also keeping the sun off my face.

While I'm aware I find too much joy in usable trash, I also find the joy in picking up discarded items and bringing them to the next garbage can. Somebody's got to pick up all this trash...

Find joy in the little things

No comments:

Post a Comment