Thursday, August 25, 2016

Sonder

We don't always get to see every detail. The world isn't full of vague background characters, and continuous shots of breathtaking views.
We are all flawed human beings, and that's what I love most about us. Maybe we won't experience the movie dramatized version of perfection, or the complete happiness we felt as children. We as people work so hard to achieve so little, and for a long time, I hated that. I fought with the fact that love isn't always the storybook you read countless times. Love comes in so many different forms, and can't be shared like a picture. Trying to explain how I feel about one person won't be understood fully, because they have such a different view.
Families aren't perfect, and I am aware I'm not the only one to tell you that. Siblings grow up, parents divorce, and so many tiny things can happen to pull people and change them.
My parents divorced when I was 12. My brother was 10 and my sister 14, if my memory serves correctly. Each of us felt confusion and grief, but it wasn't the same form shared between us. Each of us took it differently; we grew and changed in our own ways.
We could sit and decipher who handled it how and why, but that's not the point I'm aiming to make. We were all sitting in that same living room, and we all cried. We grew up in the same house, with the same parent's, and we shared so much. We grew, and we dispersed, and we ran.Those few minutes the living room were just a small fraction of my life, but it is one of the moments that make me who I am today.
As I meet more people along this journey, I realize how many little moments make up each and every person. We are so complex, and we use such simple explanations for ourselves.
I want to forever feel this excitement when I hear about each person's moments. Some days I'm so tired, and I fall asleep before I hear the story. Some days, the people I meet don't want to share.
We have so much to offer and learn from one another, and it both terrifies and excites me. I hope I can always love these strangers, and accept the parts of us that make us who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment